DAI Forumers

Friday, October 20, 2006

I Wanna Leave It Up To You, But You Never Seem To Come Through, Why Don't You Finish What You Start, Before This Whole Thing Falls Apart

--"Enough", Dance Hall Crashers

My first writing exercise to see if I can dramatize what was once a short dramatic story. Tonight's selection? Close Your Eyes, I'll Watch Over You, Just Tell Me What You Want Me To Do, Close Your Eyes, Just Remember To Breathe by our very own Breanne.

----

EXT. BREANNE'S BALCONY - EVENING

BREANNE is dangling her feet through the rails over the edge. She is staring blankly at her toes. PATRICK is sitting next to her. He is staring off into the distance.


BREANNE

You have to think I'm a terribly, wicked child.



PATRICK

Not at all. Why would I think that, Breanne?



BREANNE

Oh, everyone does. It's alright, sugar.
I've accepted I'm never going to be a saint




Patrick slides his arm around Breanne's shoulder. He scoots in closer.

PATRICK

Personally, I think sainthood is overrated.
Everyone knows sinners are what's hot right
now. Sinners are what's en vogue, Breannie.

I know why I think you're wicked, but why do
you think you are?



BREANNE

Something Shelly told me.



PATRICK

What did she say?



BREANNE

She said that I wasn't a good girl for
being friends with you. Do you think
that's true?



PATRICK

No, I don't think that's true. Your
cousin Shelly doesn't know what she's
talking about. You can be friends
with anyone you want to be friends
with. She shouldn't tell you you're
not good for being friends with me.
If anything, I'm the evil one.



BREANNE

Why?



Patrick begins to move his arm from Breanne's shoulder and rubs her head playfully.

PATRICK

When people see us walking down the
street, it's not you that they think
is taking advantage of me. They all
think I'm taking advantage of you.
You're the innocent one.



Breanne pulls his arm back upon her

BREANNE

I'm not that innocent.



Patrick nods his head.

Breanne swivels to face him and stares at him for a beat. She moves closer so their legs are now touching.

Patrick turns to look at his leg now touching hers.

They both turn back to look at the horizon.

PATRICK

I wouldn't worry about it, B. You're
alright with me, innocent or not.



BREANNE

I'm just worried that I have holes in the
fabric of my conscience. People
always seem to worry about me being
impulsive.



PATRICK

I think your impulsiveness is cute. It's
one of the reasons I like you so much,
Breannie. And, as for your holes, I
think it's our holes that allow the
light to come through. It's all the
ways you're imperfect that make you
special.



Breanne blushes, turns slightly away from Patrick, and then she turns back.

BREANNE

Can I ask you a personal question?



PATRICK

Shoot.



BREANNE

Do you ever think that someday we'll be more than friends, Patrick?



PATRICK

Sometimes.



BREANNE

And do you ever think what that will be
like if we do?



PATRICK

Perhaps.

Perhaps we'd get married someday and
I'd build you a house where all the
doors and ceilings fit you perfectly
even if I had to stoop to get around.
I think it'd be worth it to give you
a place that was built for you. I
was thinking about that the entire
plane ride here--how you said this
house didn't feel like your home. I
was thinking how that'd be the
perfect gift for you, a house you can
tell your friends and family was
designed with only you in mind.



Breanne removes her legs from the railing and tucks them beneath her. She starts leaning into Patrick.

Patrick turns to face her.

PATRICK

What are you doing?



BREANNE

I'm trying to kiss you.



Breanne kisses Patrick. He turns his head away sharply, clearly not into it.

PATRICK

We can't do this. It doesn't feel right.



BREANNE

Sure, we can, Patrick. I want us to.



She attempts again and is rebuffed.

PATRICK

Well, then I can't, Breanne. Right now
you're like my younger sister. I said
perhaps someday we'll be more, but
right now it feels weird. I'm sorry.



BREANNE

Don't you want me at all?



Patrick only continues to stare out into the distance.

After a short wait during which she receives no answer, Breanne starts to get up. Patrick stands up as well. He embraces her and looks deep into her face.

PATRICK

Don't stare at me and try to breathe
normally, Breanne.



They kiss.

...and scene.

Yours Swimmingly,
mojo shivers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home