DAI Forumers

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Vitality, Khoomei, Smoking, AntiVirus, Evolution.

copied from my blogger.

I think the exact point in time the youthful vigour disappeared from my eyes was when my 3rd year started. I saw it in everyone else in my class too. All the freshman and sophomores here at UCR are full of vitality and drive. The juniors and seniors all look drained and exhausted, all the time.

Well, I've been spending more and more time practicing Khoomei, or Tuvan/Mongolian Throat singing. Basically it's singing one note in a constricted, striated voice, and modulating the false vocals chords, your tongue, and inside walls of your mouth, to resonate and create a harmonic, perhaps more than one. There's three basic styles, Khoomei(also the name of the throat singing in general), Kargyrra, and Sygyt, each differing by how you create the harmonics. I think overtone singing in general is amazing, but I felt like Khoomei was the place to start.

I broke my promise to myself that I would stop smoking. I had successfully stopped cigarettes since October 10th, 2005. But I bought a pack day before yesterday, three months to the day, oddly enough. I don't know what I was thinking, but fuck... Well, I'll give it another go, after this pack. I'll try wetting the filter, this time.

At the beginning of this school year I installed McAfee security on my laptop. Big mistake. It sucked up so much memory with it's ridiculous number of programs, that there wasn't enough to even operate windows explorer. Closing the programs using task manager would be useless because they would just start up again. Anytime I had to delete a file that was larger than 100 or 200 mb, it would fuck up and freak out. I fucking uninstalled that shit after putting up with it for a whole quarter. Now I use Avira Anti-Vir and everything's peachy. I should be in control of my computer, not the other way around. Take that, you bucket of bolts.

On this other forum I'm a part of, J-Music Ignited, which I joined to keep this wannabe know-it-all in line, people mentioned evolution. "The theory of Evolution." ........ It's not a fucking theory. It is FACT. What's now disputed about it is our own evolution, which is only partially figured out. But that it occurs in nature is undisputable. We witness it on a microscale and macroscale all the fucking time. Humans have slowed the evolutionary process down a bit, with medicine and all, keeping "unfit" individuals alive, but population dynamics should kick in pretty soon, and I think it's going catch up with us, the next big predator being some sort of virus that kills off everything except the individuals who are "fit" in evolutionary terms. Well, it already seems like it's here. Now we just have to wait another few hundred thousand to million years, and see. If we live to write about it.

And that's all folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home