DAI Forumers

Sunday, March 19, 2006

My previous post was a very self-centered one about my habits of object-love, which are no doubt inequitable. I would still submit that this part of human life--reflexively being attracted to, or more importantly enjoying, something--has little to do with fairness in the moment of enjoyment. Especially since this little apologia comes from everything I've read lately and haven't processed enough to be able to reproduce, I beg forgiveness.

When you're watching a movie or reading a book there are elaborate set-ups you've made beforehand, you know how to read, you know cliches and conventions, etc. But there's a point where you give yourself over to the appearance in a way, isn't there? A point where you cease trying to appreciate and your feelings become automatic. These feelings come from both it and from you. It thus follows that a biased person may expect to have biased feelings in this moment of spontaneous appreciation. What if not biased (and biasing) is love at first sight? The iris shots in West Side Story: beauty is an oasis, but it comes out of the same world as all tensions.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger HeartlessCloud said…

    So your idea is more natural attraction to Asian women...like, you could think about why you tend to prefer them more, but you know that, as an inexplicable feeling (and really, what feelings are truly explicable?), you do prefer them? If that's what you're trying to say, I understand.

    If not, smack me and tell me to read more closely. ;_;

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger David said…

    The last thing you said is basically the premise of everything I say. It's taken for granted--just a supposition based on common sense, or what you could learn (very very quickly) from reading my journal for three years

    I'm thinking maybe I should have spoken hypothetically about why someone might develop a race preference. Then we would see whether I was saying something legitimate in the abstract.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home