DAI Forumers

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Kyrie Eleison, Down The Road I Must Travel, Kyrie Eleison, Through The Darkness Of The Night

--"Kyrie", Mr. Mister

Sometimes I'll hear a title--for a song, a movie, &c...--and my mind will instantly jump to how awesome that would be for a person's name. I mean--I've wrote before how I thought Whiskey God would be a kickass first and middle name for an individual, a girl especially. While I still hold to that truth, my tastes don't necessarily run strictly to the unique and ostentatious. A myriad of songs and films exist that have piqued my ear for awesome sounding names.

The latest I heard was when I was watching The Sing-Off yesterday. A group from the University of Oregon sang a cover of Mr. Mister's "Kyrie Eleison" as their guilty pleasure. Now I vaguely remember the song when it originally came out. However, at the time I was in elementary so my impressions, good or bad, of it are minimal at best. As I sat listening to it, though, my mind came back to what an interesting title for the song "Kyrie Eleison" was. I could not imagine how I had gone my whole life without ever running across this melodic turn of phrase. Sure, it's Greek in origin, meaning "Lord, have mercy," but to me it almost has a Celtic feel to it. What I kept coming back to was how it would be a perfect name for some sylph of a girl in an old sea shanty or something. For me it evokes that old standy image of a girl wistful and forlorn on some cliff somewhere.

Granted, a lot of phrases evoke these same emotions, but it's not often a name can elicit these selfsame feelings. I don't know--I just find it amusing that I'm forever on the lookout for these small wonders that other people can overlook. I also find it amusing that something so miniscule in relevance can provoke such a pronounced response in me.

Perhaps it's my blessing and my curse that I get so emotionally stimulated by something so flimsy in its construction.

Yours Swimmingly,
mojo shivers

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home