DAI Forumers

Thursday, March 23, 2006

And We'll Linger On, Time Can't Erase A Feeling This Strong, No Way You're Ever Gonna Shake Me, Oh Darling, 'Cause You'll Always Be My Baby

--Always Be My Baby", Mariah Carey

One of the longest standing traditions in our friendship is that there's always some type of wager whenever one of her teams plays one of my teams. When we were younger (or when she was younger I should say) the standing bet was $20, but, as we've both gotten older, the ante has gone up. Right now the standing bet is $100, no stipulations, on any major sporting event. It doesn't happen often as our teams are destined to play in either opposite leagues or opposite conferences, but it does happen. For instance, were the Bulldogs of the fine institution of the University of Georgia ever to meet the Trojans of the also fine institution of the University of Southern California, well, we'd kill her team. But also there would be a check being sent in the mail (or Paypalled as it has come to pass) the minute the game is over. Come hell or high water, you can be sure that if Breanne's team and my team are ever playing each other I shall have a vested interest in the outcome of that game.

I don't just watch the game, I rub her face in it. I may not be the world's best trash talker, but I do know a thing or two about getting underneath my Southern friend's skin. It's not just the "You might be a redneck/Southerners are dumb" variety, but I also like to tease her about how "she's just a girl and girls don't know the first thing about sports". That really crumbles her cookies as she in many ways is more up on the latest goings-on of her belove Dawgs and Falcons. But she also goads me as well whenever she happens on a bit of sports news that she figures to mock me with endlessly. Four words for you--Damon signs with Yankees.

I guess that's the reason I'm writing this is because, of all the series in all the sports we follow, nothing is more precious nor more sacred an annual (or semi-annual event as the case may be) event as whenever the Red Sox play the Braves. We both set aside whole afternoons or evenings, waste tons of hours on the telephone to each other, and may as well breath baseball for those few days of games. Last year when I went to Boston for the first time it was to see the Sawx play Braves at Fenway. Believe you me I made sure to taunt the fact that we came back from being down 3-1 to win the game I watched 5-3. It not only meant that I wouldn't be compelled to sign over a hundred dollars of money I had worked semi-hard for, it also meant seeing the absolutely hilarious notes Breanne likes to leave in the margins of her check whenever she has to pay me my winnings. Last year's entry was a classic.

Well, they do say opposites attact...so I sincerely hope you meet somebody who is attractive, honest, intelligent, and cultured.


I can only cringe at the thought of actually sitting next to her at a stadium with her when the Red Sox and Braves play. I believe the zingers would come quicker and with more ferocity than in His Girl Friday. I could not imagine having to put up with that coy smirk of hers were her team to be winning throughout the whole game. I would have to leave. I would. Not only is she one of the cruelest bullies when it comes to her teams being victorious, she's also one of the smuggest. I mean--she's the most polite and well-mannered person (at times) I've ever met, except when it comes to Chipper Jones and the boys. Then she really does turn into a maniac.


oh baby believe me it’s only a matter of time

But here's the darndest thing about our friendly rivalry. I root for Georgia when they're not playing USC. I root for them so much that I get teased at work for having two favorite teams. I also check on the Braves almost as often as I check on the Red Sox when baseball's in season. I like it when they're winning because it makes her happy. Just as she'll call me up and tell me what a great move one of my organizations made or just to tell me that so-and-so played perfectly today. We both have each other's colleges keychains. I can tell you that the first and best pep talk I received when USC lost to Texas was from her. She wanted them to win just as much as I did. That's how it is with us and that's why we've stayed friends for so long. We support each other. Knowing she's a fan of Georgia is enough for me to root for them, and vice-versa. It makes me, at least, feel connected to her in another tangible way.

Sure, we may putdown and insult each other's sports teams, but that's just the nature of good friends. Whatever they like and whatever they're into you've always got to knock it down a peg or two. You can't ever let them know that you actually think one of their interests is actually worthwhile because it'll go straight to their heads. She's like my little sister in some ways. I can't ever let her know how completely I support her or her teams because that would be overly sentimental. I kid and I joke because I know she can take it. But, secretly, we both get excited whenever that next home run is hit or that next touchdown is scored because, yeah, it does make the other person happy.

The bet is our way of showing each other that we're still a big part of each other's lives. Besides, it's an institution by now. I couldn't imagine not having the bet in my life even with all the hurt feelings and brutal insults that sometimes result because of it.

It'd be like trying to imagine not having Breanne in my life.

So come June 17th at Turner Field Breanne better be ready to pay me my money because that bitch is going down!

Yours Swimmingly,
mojo shivers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home