DAI Forumers

Monday, July 16, 2007

I Don't Mind, Not Knowing What I'm Headed For, You Can Take Me Take To The Skies, It's Like Being Lost In Heaven, When I'm Lost In Your Eyes

--"Lost In Your Eyes", Debbie Gibson

I was at the local Border's killing time before rushing off to my next engagement. I sat in their comfortable chairs reading the latest of Filter, checking out some article about Rilo Kiley, when I was interrupted. A stranger with the innocuous inquiry as to whether the seat next to me was currently occupied was the culprit. Within those brief seconds she captured my full cooperation and I had moved over.

It wasn't the voice that caught my attention. It was just an average voice of an average young woman. Nor was it anything regarding the style of dress or how she conducted herself that made me snap to attention. Indeed, I had hardly intended to look up from my magazine. What drew me in were the most alluring pair of eyes I'd seen in quite awhile--a lazy shade of green, perfect in shape, and just this side of doe-eyed.

The engagement didn't last long, what with my having to dash off to the aforementioned appointment. However, even though the exchange only lasted mere minutes, the haunting beauty of those eyes stuck with me until finally I had to write the post you see before you.


I get weak in a glance

I know I've written often about how redheads are my kryptonite and how hair color in general is the first thing that I notice. It's true, I'm a sucker for certain hair colors that I've never been able to explain. Redheads in general, certain light blondes or chestnut brunettes, all have conspired to land me in trouble in the past. But, in addition to my preferences in the matter of tresses, I also seem to have a very discernible preference in eye color as well. There are certain shades of blue, but definitely green that I am powerless against. It's unmistakable. As soon as I take that first glimpse, an almost Pavlovian response begins to flow from me. I'm putty in regards to whatever suggestion they make.

I've had some time to think about it. The closest explanation I can assemble is that it's like Sophie Fisher once said more or less. Hair color, hair style, hair length is like the human body to me, it's the first thing I notice. A woman's hair is what gets them in the door in terms of making a first expression. But it's the eyes and especially the eye color that's like the soul of a person. I don't know--to get a really good look at a person's eyes, close enough to really see what color they are, you have to be really close to them. And to really establish the subtle shades and various nuance of a person's eyes you have to been watching them for more than the briefest of moments. I believe that's why when I can sum up in a few words the definitive color of a person's eyes, it means I've gotten to know that person.

Or, in the instance of that random encounter at Border's, it means that their eye color is striking enough to make a distinct impact within those first few moments. There is a shade of subdued green that has come to mean the model of beautiful eyes. People born lucky enough to have those shades I feel an instant connection with, more trusting, more willing to open up with.

Say all you want about beauty being skin deep, but just as I have a theory that certain numbers work better for me, I seem to get along better with people of certain hair colors and especially eye colors.

For me, hair color is the like the sizzle, while eye color is like the steak.

Yours Swimmingly,
mojo shivers

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home