DAI Forumers

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Well, Baby, I Surrender To The Strawerry Ice Cream, Never Ever End Of All This Love, Well, I Didn't Mean To Do It, But There's No Escaping Your Love

--"Accidentally in Love (cover)", MissAlissa15

It's been mentioned before that I tend to write more than a few pieces backwards. When I say backwards, that is to mean I don't start with a central idea or even any semblance of what the bulk of these paragraphs will contain. Nope, I'd say about half of the time I write blogs or anything personal I'm writing from the starting point of somewhere else. Most times that means a title (or a song lyric if it's something for this site). But other times it's even more insidious.

Take for instance tonight. Tonight all I have going for this blog is the idea I wanted to write a blog somehow referencing the video below. I don't know what I wanted it to be about, but I know it had to employ this song somehow. It's both a song I like and the new cover of it by MissAlissa15 just reminded me how much I used to love listening to the Counting Crows.

That's all I got. That's all I have to work with.

But if you think about it, it's the way I rationalize a lot of my decisions. I get a good impression of something or someone, and I just go with it. Maybe I don't follow my passions to the degree that Lucy does, but I've been accused of being impulsive a time or two. I really think a lot of life, mine especially, simply isn't planned out. We don't get a map of where we will end up or how to get there. Most of the time we get a starting point and then are told to make our own way. Some of us strike out for a definite destination. Others of us like to stumble around for a bit before taking stock of our bearings. There's no sense in deciding how we are to proceed without first figuring out where we want to proceed to. That's my theory at least.

If you think about it, it's the way humans are built. Take, love, for instance. A lot of people endeavor to discover their perfect mate. They conjure up a laundry list of qualities and attributes that they wish their perfect partner to possess. But when shove comes to push, most of us end up with people in the most roundabout of fashions. We have the basic understanding of what we're looking for--a starting point, if you will--but the process of finding someone special is often fraught with stumbling about the dark. Actually, the process most often involves denying we're feeling what we're feeling, and then suddenly surrendering to the moment. There is no grand scheme--no rhyme or reason; there's just feeling and acceptance.

That's the way I tend to approach writing sometimes. Sometimes I don't know where I'm going. I just trust that there's an idea worthwhile in the journey and that during the course of that journey I'll dig it out. So, yeah, sometimes all it takes is a song to set me off placing words on a page. But by the time I reach that last paragraph I think the promise held within that song has been revealed. Or, if you will, the song or lyrics for me is my marble block and it is only through the process of blurting out whatever pops into my head that the sculpture beneath is revealed.

Sometimes following one's passions is both the process and the goal.

Yours Swimmingly,
mojo shivers

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home